Re: [Mgs] Genator strap.

To: PaulHunt73 <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Genator strap.
From: Robert's New iPad via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 07:32:03 -0500
Cc: MGB Autox List <mgs@autox.team.net>
  My tensioning method is to go driving on a rainy day, with heater booster,
headlamps, radio and anything else electrical switched on, then to listen for
belt slip or other indications of slip. I tighten just enough to stop that.
  TDsâ?? belts are the older-style wider belt. Mine I would tighten just enough
to keep it from flipping off the dynamo pulley.
  MGB workshop manual says, somewhere, 1/2â?? deflection on the longest span.
At what pressure, one asks. I think that is generally over-tight, and believe
that that spec was set for dealer use so that cars were not returned for
no-charge tightening in a couple of weeks after belts were renewed. Only my
opinion on that.....
  O Fahrenheit yesterday morning in Guilford. Too cold to consider taking MGB
outside, even if the garage door had not been frozen closed.
Bob