[Mgs] Sourcing radiator hoses

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: [Mgs] Sourcing radiator hoses
From: William Killeffer via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2019 10:05:48 -0400 (EDT)

------=_Part_69443951_1154154481.1567519548623

Hello everyone,

Recently, I did a bunch of work on the cooling system of my 1974 MGB. The car
has a 1971 engine and is set up to use an upper radiator hose, a separate lower
hose, and a brass fitting that attaches to the water pump with a short length
of hose and sends coolant up to the heater core. The work I did included a new
radiator, hoses, hose clamps, and thermostat. I sourced all the items from
Vicky-Brit at the end of May and installed them sometime in July.

The problem is that the hoses seemed a bit flimsy compared to the ones I took
off. Seems like the old hoses came from NAPA. I was driving the car after
fitting all the new parts in the early part of August, and all seemed well. I
thought I'd been careful to get the air out of the system. We had some really
hot days that month, with the heat index showing up at 95+deg, but the car
seemed to run well and the temp gauge never got into the danger zone. I was
driving it home on one of those hot evenings, when I started smelling coolant
not far from home. I didn't see any steam, so I drove the rest of the way home,
which was less than a mile at that point.

Upon raising the bonnet, I saw evidence of a coolant leak, and then found the
split place in the upper radiator hose. The car's been sitting in my garage
ever since as I haven't yet had time to deal with that.

Is this the fault of a bad hose, or did I fail to get all of the air out of the
system, or was it just too hot that day to safely be driving the car? I'm going
to assume that I can still find hoses at NAPA, but does anyone have any
suggestions about that?

Thank you,
-William

------=_Part_69443951_1154154481.1567519548623

s=3D"1"></div><div>Recently, I did a bunch of work on the cooling system of=
 my 1974 MGB. The car has a 1971 engine and is set up to use an upper radia=
tor hose, a separate lower hose, and a brass fitting that attaches to the w=
ater pump with a short length of hose and sends coolant up to the heater co=
re. The work I did included a new radiator, hoses, hose clamps, and thermos=
tat. I sourced all the items from Vicky-Brit at the end of May and installe=
problem is that the hoses seemed a bit flimsy compared to the ones I took o=
ff. Seems like the old hoses came from NAPA. I was driving the car after fi=
tting all the new parts in the early part of August, and all seemed well. I=
&nbsp;thought I'd been careful to get the air out of the system. We had som=
e really hot days that month, with the heat index showing up at 95+deg, but=
 the car seemed to run well and the temp gauge never got into the danger zo=
ne. I was driving it home on one of those hot evenings, when I started smel=
ling coolant not far from home. I didn't see any steam, so I drove the rest=
 of the way home, which was less than a mile at that point.</div><div><br d=
ata-mce-bogus=3D"1"></div><div>Upon raising the bonnet, I saw evidence of a=

--===============4580044699826500294==