[Mgs] Paint

To: MGs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] Paint
From: Richard Lindsay via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2019 06:37:05 -0500

--000000000000f16ab1059281ca4e

Hello friends,
   I visited the painter yesterday, as planned, and recieved a nice
surprise. Management had all of the paint dispensers replaced so the mix
precision is now restored to new, not that it was ever bad. The paint guy
knows the PPG Shopline paint inside and out. I have worked with the manager
before on four previous jobs and she is fair and honest. She discounts the
costs for me and measures the labor honestly (repeat customer).
   The car requires very little body work so the labor charge is minimal.
There are four holes in the rear deck lid that will be welded closed (old
luggage rack mounts) and a small rust spot where water leaked in through
one of the holes. Other than that, there are just a few dimples on the
bonnet that will be flattened. And of course sanding to a stable base.
   The finishing process will then be: repairs > high build epoxy sealant >
block sanding > basecoat > 3 layers of clearcoat. All done in urethane for
a wet-look gloss. One week turn around and starting on a Monday. Paint by
the end of the week, final curing over the weekend.
   Triumph number '82 Carmine' red paint color is of course, not in their
color formula table. The car is 45 years old and as we know, somewhat rare
to boot. I have the PPG, Dupont and Ditzler paint codes as well as the
Triumph code but that doesn't really help. What I do have that will work is
a bottle of Carmine red touchup paint and the color is correct. So, I'm
going to paint a sample card with that paint and their color computer can
scan and match it! The paint guy is meticulous and will mix a test to
compare. After that its painting as normal. I will also save the formula in
case of subsequent work (gasp).

   Its Saturday morning so my junior mechanic, a.k.a. grandson, comes to
help at the shop. We have great fun on Saturday mornings. We first have
breakfast, then go to the shop. Sometimes we go to Harbor Freight together
to walk the isles and get the free doodad of the week. Once at the shop we
do actual work - for a while - then he rides his bike and visits with the
guy in the unit next door. That guy often brings his teenage daughter along
and she is great with Kelum...and she is a motorhead, restoring her old
pickup truck.
   That's it. Off to work and play.

Rick

--000000000000f16ab1059281ca4e

an><div dir=3D"auto" style=3D"font-family:sans-serif"><div dir=3D"auto"><di=
v style=3D"width:328px;margin:16px 0px"><div><div dir=3D"auto"><div dir=3D"=
auto">=C2=A0 =C2=A0I visited the painter yesterday, as planned, and recieve=
d a nice surprise. Management had all of the paint dispensers replaced so t=
he mix precision is now restored to new, not that it was ever bad. The pain=
t guy knows the PPG Shopline paint inside and out. I have worked with the m=
anager before on four previous jobs and she is fair and honest. She discoun=
ts the costs for me and measures the labor honestly (repeat customer).</div=
he labor charge is minimal. There are four holes in the rear deck lid that =
will be welded closed (old luggage rack mounts) and a small rust spot where=
 water leaked in through one of the holes. Other than that, there are just =
a few dimples on the bonnet that will be flattened. And of course sanding t=
o a stable base.</div><div dir=3D"auto">=C2=A0 =C2=A0The finishing process =
will then be: repairs &gt; high build epoxy sealant &gt; block sanding &gt;=
 basecoat &gt; 3 layers of clearcoat. All done in urethane for a wet-look g=
loss. One week turn around and starting on a Monday. Paint by the end of th=
e week, final curing over the weekend.</div><div dir=3D"auto">=C2=A0 =C2=A0=
Triumph number &#39;82 Carmine&#39; red paint color is of course, not in th=
eir color formula table. The car is 45 years old and as we know, somewhat r=
are to boot. I have the PPG, Dupont and Ditzler paint codes as well as the =
Triumph code but that doesn&#39;t really help. What I do have that will wor=
k is a bottle of Carmine red touchup paint and the color is correct. So, I&=
#39;m going to paint a sample card with that paint and their color computer=
 can scan and match it! The paint guy is meticulous and will mix a test to =
compare. After that its painting as normal. I will also save the formula in=
=3D"auto">=C2=A0 =C2=A0Its Saturday morning so my junior mechanic, a.k.a. g=
randson, comes to help at the shop. We have great fun on Saturday mornings.=
 We first have breakfast, then go to the shop. Sometimes we go to Harbor Fr=
eight together to walk the isles and get the free doodad of the week. Once =
at the shop we do actual work - for a while - then he rides his bike and vi=
sits with the guy in the unit next door. That guy often brings his teenage =
daughter along and she is great with Kelum...and she is a motorhead, restor=
ing her old pickup truck.</div><div dir=3D"auto">=C2=A0 =C2=A0That&#39;s it=

--000000000000f16ab1059281ca4e--

--===============8876634490618421464==