Re: [Mgs] Birthday

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Birthday
From: Barrie Robinson via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2020 15:11:36 -0400

--------------C2E0BD406777D39BE2292151

Hello Mark,

You sound a little like me.   I started the Aston Martin Feltham Club
and financed it myself.  It grew to a massive (ha ha) 152 members but
have done a lot of work such as having N/A parts made and newsletters.
Despite all efforts I cannot get someone to take over and am just easing
members to take some of the workload with a small amount of success.
But, like you, succession is tough - but, hey Mark, you are only
66.........I am 86 !!!

Cheers and all the very best to you youngster - from one of your big fans
Barrie
Chairman
Aston Martin Feltham Club
www.AMFClub.com

On 4/11/2020 9:15 AM, Mark J Bradakis via Mgs wrote:
> April 11th.  As many of you know, the domain team.net was officially
> registered on April 11, 1991, by the late Bill Caloccia.  I have been
> managing the mailing lists on autox.team.net since then, actually for
> a while before that.  I took over  from Jim Muller, who took over from
> Dale Cook, and I wish I had archives of those first few years.
> Actually I may have some in my office, on 1/4 inch tape cassettes.
> Every now and then I consider trying to revive some of the old HP-UX
> boxes I have to see if I can still read any of those tapes.  Maybe
> someday.
>
> Anyway, in the beginning I was routing everything through the servers
> at the University of Utah Computer Science Department, where I was
> employed.  When my fellow sys admins started noticing just how much
> network traffic there was on a certain box, my boss strongly suggested
> I make other arrangements.  So I went about getting a network
> connection at home.  Back then, it was not that easy, or cheap.  And
> as I recall, the first dedicated Team Net server was an HP box with
> one of the first 100+ megahertz CPUs, and even with a deal through HP,
> who worked closely with the U in those days the system set me back
> about $2,500.  Hardware has improved since then.  And that money
> didn't all come out of my pocket, I initiated a fund drive among the
> list members and got a great response.  Back then it was all checks in
> the mail, and I mailed a thank you postcard to every contributor, or
> at least most of them, no doubt I missed a few.  And for some time
> there was an annual fund drive to cover the rather high cost of having
> sufficient bandwidth from my house.
>
> So here it is 29 and just everybody has fast network available to
> them.   I dropped the fund drives some years back, though folks do
> continue to contribute to the cause.  Now a few clicks in Paypal can
> take care of it, though some still prefer to send checks. Yep, things
> are different now.  And with the Covid-19 pandemic, a LOT different.
> But the Team Net mailing lists are still chugging along, providing
> those spending more time at home a bit of distraction, entertainment
> or education as we keep our beloved vehicles rolling along the roads.
>
> I plan to keep it going as long as I can, who knows how many years I
> have left.  April 11th is also my birthday, 66 this year, and I
> certainly won't live forever.  And I fear that when I die, Team Net
> will die.  Sigh.
>
> But for now, enjoy and stay healthy.
>
> mjb.

--------------C2E0BD406777D39BE2292151

  <head>
  </head>
        You sound a little like me.   I started the Aston Martin Feltham
        Club and financed it myself.  It grew to a massive (ha ha) 152
        members but have done a lot of work such as having N/A parts
        made and newsletters.  Despite all efforts I cannot get someone
        to take over and am just easing members to take some of the
        workload with a small amount of success.    But, like you,
        succession is tough - but, hey Mark, you are only 66.........I
        am 86 !!!<br>
        Cheers and all the very best to you youngster - from one of your
        big fans<br>
        Barrie<br>
        Chairman<br>
        Aston Martin Feltham Club<br>
href="http://www.AMFClub.com";>www.AMFClub.com</a><br>
      via Mgs wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:356ffecc-5e60-05eb-34af-ec26c9109ce1@bradakis.com">April
[...]
      <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Mgs@autox.team.net";>Mgs@autox.team.net</a>
      Donate: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";>http://www.team.net/donate.html</a>
      Suggested annual donation  $12.75
href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"