Re: [Mgs] Overheating MGB GT

To: "Michael MacLean" <rrengineer.mike@att.net>, "Mglist" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Overheating MGB GT
From: "PaulHunt73" <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2020 09:05:09 -0000 rqGRpK7GLvr23iAouE7tGdVO0+q2wIFmZxUTPV4b71w+pTM0d5xXk2ZIhoKtkXXaDH9gqd6SKeLWO911+MOVaix7/j0kWPjVybs=

--===============1278458157802446891==
        boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0026_01D6AAAD.F06D08F0"

------=_NextPart_000_0026_01D6AAAD.F06D08F0
        charset="UTF-8"

Unless you were really driving it hard the 7lb cap wouldn't have been a =
problem - if it IS holding 7lb, although the correct cap would be =
better.

If it took half a gallon to top it back up it must have been half empty. =
 The sludge could have been because insufficient coolant was boiling, =
but the question is where the coolant went since you last checked the =
level.  Either you have a coolant leak, or maybe a headgasket leak which =
is boiling it out.

In my experience the temp gauge rarely shows a problem when you are =
losing coolant from a system leak, unlike when the engine really is =
running hot and boiling coolant out that way, in which case I'd expect =
to see signs of that brown staining round the outlet from the rad over =
flow port or hose.  Head gasket leaks can result in significant temp =
gauge oscillation.

Timing?  I have my doubts.

PaulH.

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  I have been having problems with my MGB GT running hot.  To start out =
with the simplest things first, I removed the radiator cap and found =
what you see in the picture.  Add to that it is a 7 psi cap.  My car is =
a 1969 which requires a 10 psi cap.  After running out two tanks of gas =
it took half a 50/50 mix antifreeze container to fill the system back =
up.  Checking the timing is next.
------=_NextPart_000_0026_01D6AAAD.F06D08F0
        charset="UTF-8"

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Unless you were really driving it hard the 7lb cap =
wouldn't=20
have been a problem - if it&nbsp;IS holding 7lb, although the correct =
cap would=20
be better.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>If it took half a gallon to top it back up&nbsp;it =
must have=20
been&nbsp;half empty.&nbsp; The sludge could have been because =
insufficient=20
coolant was boiling, but the question is where the coolant went since =
you last=20
checked the level.&nbsp; Either you have a coolant leak, or maybe a =
headgasket=20
leak which is boiling it out.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>In my experience the temp gauge rarely shows a =
problem when=20
you are losing coolant from a system leak, unlike when the engine really =
is=20
running hot and boiling coolant out that way, in which case I'd expect =
to see=20
signs of that brown staining round the outlet from the rad over flow =
port or=20
hose.&nbsp; Head gasket leaks can result in significant temp gauge=20
oscillation.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Timing?&nbsp; I have my doubts.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>PaulH.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif; =
FONT-SIZE: 16px"=20
  class=3Dydp3bb4de78yahoo-style-wrap>
  <DIV id=3Dydp3bb4de78yiv2637017514>I have been having problems with my =
MGB GT=20
  running hot.&nbsp; To start out with the simplest things first, I =
removed the=20
  radiator cap and found what you see in the picture.&nbsp; Add to that =
it is a=20
  7 psi cap.&nbsp; My car is a 1969 which requires a 10 psi cap.&nbsp; =
After=20
  running out two tanks of gas it took half a 50/50 mix antifreeze =
container to=20
  fill the system back up.&nbsp; Checking the timing is=20
next.</DIV></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>