Re: [Mgs] 1980 MGB engine removal

To: "MGs" <mgs@autox.team.net>, "S.Carr" <britfan1@epix.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] 1980 MGB engine removal
From: "PaulHunt73" <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 09:01:34 +0100 ZCzYHFb3I3FwTWgE37H/fA7dRXLafMGoyEBFnM4UZQ+M5KMuoqaE53SOvlm4MobbhX5JZdE25tvFFw==

--===============5398733123626642119==
        boundary="----=_NextPart_000_002E_01D74AFB.3C92A850"

------=_NextPart_000_002E_01D74AFB.3C92A850
        charset="utf-8"

I've done it both ways and it all depends on how much space, how many =
bodies are available, and how big a hoist you have.  Single-handed in a =
single-width garage and with a folding hoist I've done engines three =
times including a V8, and even when the V8 gearbox needed to come out I =
did the engine first and got the gearbox out afterwards which makes =
dealing with the gearbox crossmember easier.

But if all you need is access to the engine or clutch then engine only =
is far easier as dealing with the gearbox crossmember and the speedo =
cable (when on an OD) is the big problem getting it out with the engine, =
and everything else you list is extra work that isn't needed.  Getting =
the two back together is the same whether they are both out or the =
gearbox is out as well - with one exception I'll come on to.  With the =
gearbox out both need to be held to get them back together or they =
wriggle about like small children in the bath, doing that on two =
occasions with two people it took longer than getting engines back in on =
their own.  With the gearbox wedged at the top of the tunnel that is =
held still while you are manipulating the engine and only needs one =
person. =20

The exception is that on chrome bumper models you can't lower the engine =
in then push it straight back onto the gearbox as the crossmember is in =
the way, it has to be done at a steeper angle until the end of the first =
motion shaft is inside the clutch cover, then reduce the angle and it =
will go back.  With rubber bumper models as in your case with the body =
sitting higher on the crossmember the engine can be lowered in and =
pushed straight back.  Believe me, it is far easier doing engine only, =
and that is how the pros do it.

PaulH.
  ----- Original Message -----=20

  The workshop manual recommends removing the engine and gearbox as one =
unit.  Has anyone had success removing the engine while leaving the =
gearbox in place?  All bell housing bolts appear accessible, and a =
friend would love to not have to remove the console, carpet, gearshift, =
driveshaft, etc., to get the engine out--the head has serious problems, =
and he fears the block will too.

------=_NextPart_000_002E_01D74AFB.3C92A850
        charset="utf-8"

<HTML xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"; xmlns:o =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:m =3D=20
"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml";><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE>@font-face {
        font-family: Cambria Math;
}
@font-face {
        font-family: Calibri;
}
@page WordSection1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; =
}
P.MsoNormal {
        MARGIN: 0in; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
LI.MsoNormal {
        MARGIN: 0in; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
DIV.MsoNormal {