Re: [Mgs] Broken LED Lamp in Oil Gauge

To: Robert's New iPad <mgbobh@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Broken LED Lamp in Oil Gauge
From: Barrie Robinson <barrob@bell.net>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 15:06:15 -0400
Cc: MGB V8 List <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>, MGB List <mgs@autox.team.net>

--------------815CF5ECA3C6AC3A889C65AD

Hello Robert,

I changed my MGB GT V8 tacho and speedo to SpeedHut ones because my car
is not 'original' as I built if from parts - souped up Rover engine from
UK !!!   But the new instruments are LED and I discovered were not too
happy with the rheostat dimmer.   So I installed an LED dimmer for the
new SpeedHut gauges and kept the 'old' rheostat one for the remaining
gauges.  So I have two knobs for dimming which is actually very
convenient - small gauges low and tacho and speedo brighter.
Incidentally, the SpeedHut ones are awesome - the speedo is run off GPS
so no mechanical connection to car and deadly accurate plus all sorts of
options.

Cheers
Barrie

On 5/31/2021 7:10 AM, Robert's New iPad wrote:
>     Thanks for showing that the job can be done, with assurances by Barney
> that it is not impossible.  I am slightly more eager to attempt the task now.
>  Other instruments have been changed to LEDs, but this one had me hesitant.
> Bob
>

>> On May 30, 2021, at 11:26 PM, Michael MacLean<springer.mike51@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Finally got the "electric" oil gauge out of my MGB GT today many little cuts
>> in my hands later.  Here's a picture showing the part of the LED bulb that
>> broke off in the gauge.  We think it was caused by the cheap sheet metal
>> thread in the bulb holder.  The LED bulb was seated at a slight angle when
>> screwed into the holder casing the bulb to break in half.  Kind of fragile
>> at $5 a pop.  A lot of work and new four letter expletives I didn't even
>> know there were.  Would have been impossible to remove with the gauge in
>> situ.  Came out easily with a pair of needle nose pliers..  Just something
>> to consider if you're thinking of converting to an LED dash.
>> Mike MacLean
>> 69 MGB GT
>> <20210530_194817.jpg>

--------------815CF5ECA3C6AC3A889C65AD

  <head>
  </head>
        I changed my MGB GT V8 tacho and speedo to SpeedHut ones because
        my car is not 'original' as I built if from parts - souped up
        Rover engine from UK !!!   But the new instruments are LED and I
        discovered were not too happy with the rheostat dimmer.   So I
        installed an LED dimmer for the new SpeedHut gauges and kept the
        'old' rheostat one for the remaining gauges.  So I have two
        knobs for dimming which is actually very convenient - small
        gauges low and tacho and speedo brighter.   Incidentally, the
        SpeedHut ones are awesome - the speedo is run off GPS so no
        mechanical connection to car and deadly accurate plus all sorts
        of options.<br>
        Cheers<br>
        Barrie<br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:D605161E-BFA8-4361-9007-39B75890FB27@gmail.com">
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">   Thanks for showing that the job can
be done, with assurances by Barney that it is not impossible.  I am slightly
more eager to attempt the task now.  Other instruments have been changed to
LEDs, but this one had me hesitant.
Bob

</pre>
        <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">On May 30, 2021, at 11:26 PM,
Michael MacLean <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:springer.mike51@gmail.com";>&lt;springer.mike51@gmail.com&gt;</a>
wrote:

Finally got the "electric" oil gauge out of my MGB GT today many little cuts in
my hands later.  Here's a picture showing the part of the LED bulb that broke
off in the gauge.  We think it was caused by the cheap sheet metal thread in
the bulb holder.  The LED bulb was seated at a slight angle when screwed into
the holder casing the bulb to break in half.  Kind of fragile at $5 a pop.  A
lot of work and new four letter expletives I didn't even know there were.
Would have been impossible to remove with the gauge in situ.  Came out easily
with a pair of needle nose pliers..  Just something to consider if you're
thinking of converting to an LED dash.
Mike MacLean
69 MGB GT
&lt;20210530_194817.jpg&gt;

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Mgs@autox.team.net";>Mgs@autox.team.net</a>

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/archive";>http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/mgbobh@gmail.com";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/mgbobh@gmail.com</a>
</pre>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Mgs@autox.team.net";>Mgs@autox.team.net</a>

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/archive";>http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/barrob@bell.net";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/barrob@bell.net</a>
</pre>

--------------815CF5ECA3C6AC3A889C65AD--

--===============2281544576606394242==