Re: [Mgs] Timing adjustment on an 18GK engine

To: <wkilleffer@epbfi.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Timing adjustment on an 18GK engine
From: "PaulHunt73" <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 08:48:35 +0100 ntjQwNk67F0ofZnaG4pSXgKCyGFzUOPt0XTd40AyZ05Cr3L6XzrK1KExb6rcpIGbA1vumljFJ2c8BZTirTR1+LcZsowlmJPKnIE=

--===============3050463917360950979==
        boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0010_01D77568.5E8A75E0"

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01D77568.5E8A75E0
        charset="utf-8"

If you change to a lower octane then it is more likely to ping/pink, and =
this is more likely to happen in a high compression engine than a low.  =
If you must use that fuel - is it cheaper? - just back the timing off =
until you can't hear pinking at any combination of throttle opening, =
revs and load.

The factory specs on original fuel were conservative to take account of =
engine component tolerances and many engines can run more advance =
without problems and give better acceleration and cruising economy - BT, =
DT back in the day.  Haynes agrees and says to run at full throttle =
between 30 and 50 in top gear and set the timing so that faint pinking =
can just be heard.  For me that's too aggressive, like you I've had =
part-throttle pinking on hills that goes at full throttle, hence my =
modified recommendation.  I also found that the change to unleaded =
increased the tendency to pink, so on this engine that never could run =
more advance than book on leaded has to be slightly retarded from book =
on unleaded.  E5 hasn't made any difference, E10 will be arriving here =
this year but only in the lower of the two octanes usually available, so =
I will continue to use the higher in the roadster, and change to that in =
the 'low compression' V8.=20

PaulH.
  ----- Original Message -----=20

  It appears to run well enough, but I have had a couple of issues come =
up where there was a low-speed but high load situation, like going up a =
short hill with a 15 mph speed limit. I could hear it pinging some.=20
  I expected the timing to be too far advanced at that RPM, but if =
anything, it was slightly retarded.
  '''

  Does anyone else run 87 in a high compression engine, or have I gone =
off on a fool's errand here?
------=_NextPart_000_0010_01D77568.5E8A75E0
        charset="utf-8"

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>If you change to a lower octane then it is more likely to =
ping/pink, and=20
this is more likely to happen in a high compression engine than a =
low.&nbsp; If=20
you must use that fuel - is it cheaper? -&nbsp;just back the timing off =
until=20
you can't hear&nbsp;pinking at any combination of throttle opening, revs =
and=20
load.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The factory specs on original fuel were conservative to take =
account of=20
engine component tolerances and many engines can run more advance =
without=20
problems and give better acceleration and cruising economy - BT, DT back =
in the=20
day.&nbsp; Haynes agrees and says to run at full throttle between 30 and =
50 in=20
top gear and set the timing so that faint pinking can just be =
heard.&nbsp; For=20
me that's too aggressive, like you I've had part-throttle pinking on =
hills that=20
goes at full throttle, hence my modified recommendation.&nbsp; I also =
found that=20
the change to unleaded increased the tendency to pink, so on this engine =
that=20
never could run more advance than book on leaded has to be slightly =
retarded=20
from book on unleaded.&nbsp; E5 hasn't made any difference, E10 will be =
arriving=20
here this year but only in the lower of the two octanes usually =
available, so I=20
will continue&nbsp;to use the higher in the roadster, and change to that =
in the=20
'low compression' V8.&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>PaulH.</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; COLOR: #000000; =
FONT-SIZE: 12pt">
  <DIV><BR data-mce-bogus=3D"1"></DIV>
  <DIV>It appears to run well enough, but I have had a couple of issues =
come up=20
  where there was a low-speed but high load situation, like going up a =
short=20
  hill with a 15 mph speed limit. I could hear it pinging some. <BR=20
  data-mce-bogus=3D"1">...</DIV>
  <DIV>I expected the timing to be too far advanced at that RPM, but if=20
  anything, it was slightly retarded.</DIV>
  <DIV>'''<BR data-mce-bogus=3D"1"></DIV>
  <DIV>Does anyone else run 87 in a high compression engine, or have I =
gone off=20
  on a fool's errand here?</DIV></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>