Re: [Mgs] 1980 MGB wiring question

To: "Michael MacLean" <springer.mike51@gmail.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] 1980 MGB wiring question
From: "PaulHunt73" <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 14:22:57 +0100 0PEgA0/6WdBBflC9tUFuq54+l30hWoTr5aCB2JsrMFPrCg9DCR4Vddp9CUVWBW6aSHGTe2Bk+YIqcHCMIVfdAXJFNBGvkXM1EbstJUpLp4eYZxYwDocmUuGb

--===============1129257215797477058==
        boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0034_01D78EBC.61EC4930"

------=_NextPart_000_0034_01D78EBC.61EC4930
        charset="utf-8"

Clausager and BL documents imply that the UK only had twin horns from =
1970, North America with the Mk2.  Originally there was a sub-harness =
from the right-hand to the left-hand horn, the main harness probably =
contained the wiring for both from 1970.  It/they moved from the slam =
panel to the inner wing in 1963.

The earth path to the horn push is pretty awful, no allowance for =
electrical conductivity in the chassis/crossmember/rack/UJ/column =
assembly unlike a pal's TR4 that has a braided strap from the chassis to =
the rack and another round the UJ.  In which case a PO may have removed =
the 2nd horn as it would double the load and make things even worse if =
connections are weak.  My V8 came to me with a single moped horn, I had =
to add a relay before the correct horns would work at all even one.  =
Subsequently I had to add one to the roadster as well.  The standard =
horns with good electrical conductivity are pretty powerful.

If you put a voltmeter between the purple terminal at the horns and the =
body and push the button you will see how much voltage you are losing =
through the fuse (if any) by the voltage dropping from 12v.  Do the same =
on the purple/black and the higher that is above zero shows how much you =
are losing through the earth path.

PaulH.

----- Original Message -----=20

  Speaking of horns, my 1969 MGB GT has only one horn.  Is that =
original?  It has two wires going to it.  It works OK, but it just =
sounds weak.  What is a good alternative?  Can I wire two horns here?
  Mike MacLean

------=_NextPart_000_0034_01D78EBC.61EC4930
        charset="utf-8"

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>Clausager and BL documents imply that the UK only had twin =
horns&nbsp;from=20
1970, North America with the Mk2.&nbsp; Originally there was a =
sub-harness from=20
the right-hand to the&nbsp;left-hand horn, the main harness probably =
contained=20
the wiring for both from 1970.&nbsp; It/they moved from the slam panel =
to the=20
inner wing in 1963.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The earth path to the horn push is pretty awful, no allowance for=20
electrical conductivity in the chassis/crossmember/rack/UJ/column =
assembly=20
unlike a pal's TR4 that has a braided strap from the chassis to the rack =
and=20
another round the UJ.&nbsp; In which case a PO may have removed the 2nd =
horn as=20
it would double the load and make things even worse if connections are=20
weak.&nbsp; My V8 came to me with a single moped horn, I had to add a =
relay=20
before the correct horns would work at all even one.&nbsp; Subsequently =
I had to=20
add one to the roadster as well.&nbsp; The standard horns with good =
electrical=20
conductivity are pretty powerful.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>If you put a voltmeter between the purple terminal at the =
horns&nbsp;and=20
the body and push the button you will see how much voltage you are =
losing=20
through the fuse (if any) by the voltage dropping from 12v.&nbsp; Do the =
same on=20
the purple/black and the higher that is above zero shows how much you =
are losing=20
through the earth path.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>PaulH.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"=20
dir=3Dltr>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV dir=3Dltr>
  <DIV>Speaking of horns, my 1969 MGB GT has only one horn.&nbsp; Is =
that=20
  original?&nbsp; It has two wires going to it.&nbsp; It works OK, but =
it just=20
  sounds weak.&nbsp; What is a good alternative?&nbsp; Can I wire two =
horns=20
  here?</DIV>
  <DIV>Mike MacLean<BR></DIV></DIV>
  <DIV class=3Dgmail_quote>
  <BLOCKQUOTE=20
  style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: rgb(204,204,204) 1px solid; MARGIN: 0px 0px 0px =
0.8ex; PADDING-LEFT: 1ex"=20
  =
class=3Dgmail_quote>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>