Re: [Mgs] 1975 MG Hi-Torque Starter Motor Recommendations

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>, "Mark Robinson" <markrob@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] 1975 MG Hi-Torque Starter Motor Recommendations
From: "PaulHunt73" <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 15:53:09 +0100 3S8vGMoPgcCU4OI6m/RmslbDVoibgMa8Tqr/I5EQ5tXuQuVNqR2yGv1MCNFzjMaFRk9DAw4v51WdV0uVFlrJ1ivv3qXp2H4mQPivSIrsMQGJ/yAZWgwEMXwF
It's not so much the make as the supplier.  There are a few motor
manufacturers that supply for many different marques and models with
adapters to suit.  It's the adapter that is important, which positions the
motor and solenoid correctly for the MGB.  One version has a captive bolt as
the adapter/motor arrangement does not allow it to be fitted at the time of
installation without dismantling, I'd avoid that type.

Also the number of teeth on the pinion can vary - pre-engaged (10 except V8
which has 9) differ to inertia (9) for example, so you need to get one for
your engine/gearbox i.e. nominally the year, unless it is non-standard.

PaulH.