Re: [Mgs] Stick shift boot

To: Thomas Gunderson <thgun@comporium.net>,Mga List <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Stick shift boot
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@mgaguru.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2021 08:58:49 -0400

--=====================_88904890==.ALT

Yup,

Loosen jam nut, remove shift knob and jam nut
Lift off old boot, remove trim ring.
Install trim ring on new boot, and install new boot
Reinstall lock nut and shift knob.
Orient the shift knob as preferred, and tighten the jam nut.

Bottom flange of the rubber boot should engage the hole in the tunnel.
Carpet should be cover the bottom of the rubber boot.
Only the convolutions of the rubber boot should be showing above the carpet.

This means you need to lift the center carpet section to install the
rubber boot underneath, then put the carper back on top.  Front edge
of the center carpet should be tucked under rear edge of the front
carpet.  Rear edge of the center carpet sits on top of the rear carpet.

Bottom edges of the center carpet may sit flush with the floor, or if
longer then they get tucked under the floor carpet.  Mine are longer,
tucked under the floor carpet, and I staple the center carpet flanges
to the floor boards to be secure.

At 06:20 AM 10/2/2021, Thomas Gunderson wrote:
>I have a rubber boot that has split in on of the folds. My boot has
>a metal ring at the top of the boot. I got a new boot from a vendor
>but it did not come with the metal ring. Can I transfer this ring to
>the new boot?
>
>Thanks,
>Tom Gunderson
>1957 MGA

--=====================_88904890==.ALT

Loosen jam nut, remove shift knob and jam nut<br>
Lift off old boot, remove trim ring.<br>
Install trim ring on new boot, and install new boot<br>
Reinstall lock nut and shift knob.<br>
Orient the shift knob as preferred, and tighten the jam nut.<br><br>
Bottom flange of the rubber boot should engage the hole in the
tunnel.<br>
Carpet should be cover the bottom of the rubber boot.<br>
Only the convolutions of the rubber boot should be showing above the
carpet.<br><br>
This means you need to lift the center carpet section to install the
rubber boot underneath, then put the carper back on top.&nbsp; Front edge
of the center carpet should be tucked under rear edge of the front
carpet.&nbsp; Rear edge of the center carpet sits on top of the rear
carpet.<br><br>
Bottom edges of the center carpet may sit flush with the floor, or if
longer then they get tucked under the floor carpet.&nbsp; Mine are
longer, tucked under the floor carpet, and I staple the center carpet
flanges to the floor boards to be secure.<br><br>
At 06:20 AM 10/2/2021, Thomas Gunderson wrote:<br>
split in on of the folds. My boot has a metal ring at the top of the
boot. I got a new boot from a vendor but it did not come with the metal
ring. Can I transfer this ring to the new boot?<br><br>
Thanks,<br>
Tom Gunderson<br>
1957 MGA <br>

--===============4452161676582590826==