Re: [Mgs] Long time, no type...

To: Richard Lindsay <richardolindsay@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Long time, no type...
From: Dan DiBiase <dan.dibiase@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 16:00:05 -0400
Cc: MGs <mgs@autox.team.net>

--0000000000008a9c0b05e7164063

Good to hear from you Rick.

I'm in a bit of a conundrum with my '76B. I haven't started it this year,
as it's been so damn hot that driving it just wouldn't be that much fun.
Maybe this fall will be better. But honestly, I'm reevaluating my desire to
keep on going with it. I sold my '65 B project last fall as I wanted to be
able to garage my Tesla during the winter. I'm not sure the '76 is ever
going to be good enough to, say, take a weekend trip in it and frankly, I'm
not sure I even want to do that. I've been casting my eye on first and
second gen Miatas lately and am thinking that I might sell the '76 and go
that route. Not going to rush into it as I do want to get it running and
see where things are. So that's where I am.

Dan D
'76B
Central NJ USA
http://dandibiase.cbintouch.com/

On Tue, Aug 23, 2022 at 12:46 AM Richard Lindsay <richardolindsay@gmail.com=

wrote:

> Hello friends,
>    I haven't written to anyone here for ages. But I'm sitting at an
> airport hotel in Seattle, going home in the morning, and thinking about y=
ou
> and my MGB. If interested, let me share more.
>    I (mostly) restored my '72 MGB to 'usable status' a year or three ago,
> then it got too hot so work stopped (I live in Houston.), then the COVID
> pandemic hit, AND other projects slipped ahead of it. Sigh...
>    Work began again in ernest about a month or so ago. But given Houston'=
> 100=C2=B0F summer temperature, I could only work for an hour or two each
> morning. Then we took a short cruise and - you guessed it - Nancy and I
> both got COVID. So work haulted again but we recovered and MG work
> recommenced.
>    I rebuilt the fuel system, replacing the fuel pump with a proper low
> pressure pump. New alcohol-safe rubber hoses went on with new hose clamps=
.
> And I removed the Weber 32/36DGV and put the twin SUs back on. I had
> rebuilt them a bit earlier. Short end to this bit of the story is that th=
> engine now starts easily and runs great. Its carbs are only 'static tuned=
'
> so far but a nice, warm engine idle is already possible. Next step, the
> dynamic tuning. I really enjoy that bit. Then the air cleaners go back on=
.
> But wait! There's more.
>    After rebuilding the fuel plumbing I added a couple of gallons of
> premium petrol to the tank only to discover a drip, drip, drip. The fuel
> tank is new but the fuel level sender seal has perished...or perhaps the
> retaining ring isn't adequately tightened. So once I get back home, I'll
> pump the fuel back into the fuel jugs so I can open the sender's seal.
> Waiting in the mailbox at home is a new seal AND a new retaining ring. I
> don't want to risk the old ring being bent or rusty.
>    Also in the fun queue before the interior cosmetic restoration
> recommences, is bleeding the brakes again (all the cylinders and calipers
> are new), reinstalling the cover over the pedal-to-master cylinders, and
> readjusting the brake light switch.
>    I also have a new Al radiator to go on. The OEM radiator is plugged an=
> quite inefficient. That's in the queue too.
>    Yeah, lots of fun to be had all before temperatures in Houston fall lo=
> enough to permit comfortable, open air motoring. I'll save you the
> descriptions of the cosmetic work remaining to be completed. But suffice =
> say, it's mostly panels, a bit of refinishing, a seat diaphragm or two, a=
nd
> a top.
>    Thanks for reading. I'm happy to be back in touch.
>
> Rick Lindsay, on America's South Coast

--0000000000008a9c0b05e7164063

;m in a bit of a conundrum with my &#39;76B. I haven&#39;t started it this =
year, as it&#39;s been so damn hot that driving it just wouldn&#39;t be tha=
t much fun. Maybe this fall will be better. But honestly, I&#39;m reevaluat=
ing=C2=A0my desire to keep on going with it. I sold my &#39;65 B project la=
st fall as I wanted to be able to garage my Tesla during the winter. I&#39;=
m not sure the &#39;76 is ever going to be good enough to, say, take a week=
end trip in it and frankly, I&#39;m not sure I even want=C2=A0to do that. I=
&#39;ve been casting my eye on first and second gen Miatas lately and am th=
inking that I might sell the &#39;76 and go that route. Not going to rush i=
nto it as I do want to get it running and see where things are. So that&#39=
ignature" data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr"><a href=3D"ht=
tp://dandibiase.cbintouch.com/" target=3D"_blank">http://dandibiase.cbintou=
hard Lindsay &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:richardolindsay@gmail.com";>richardolinds=
e=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);paddin=
g-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"auto">Hello friends,<div dir=3D"auto">=C2=A0 =C2=A0=
I haven&#39;t written to anyone here for ages. But I&#39;m sitting at an ai=
rport hotel in Seattle, going home in the morning, and thinking about you a=
nd my MGB. If interested, let me share more.</div><div dir=3D"auto">=C2=A0 =
=C2=A0I (mostly) restored my &#39;72 MGB to &#39;usable status&#39; a year =
or three ago, then it got too hot so work stopped (I live in Houston.), the=
n the COVID pandemic hit, AND other projects slipped ahead of it. Sigh...</=
div><div dir=3D"auto">=C2=A0 =C2=A0Work began again in ernest about a month=
 or so ago. But given Houston&#39;s 100=C2=B0F summer temperature, I could =
only work for an hour or two each morning. Then we took a short cruise and =
- you guessed it - Nancy and I both got COVID. So work haulted again but we=
 recovered and MG work recommenced.=C2=A0</div><div dir=3D"auto">=C2=A0 =C2=
=A0I rebuilt the fuel system, replacing the fuel pump with a proper low pre=
ssure pump. New alcohol-safe rubber hoses went on with new hose clamps. And=
 I removed the Weber 32/36DGV and put the twin SUs back on. I had rebuilt t=
hem a bit earlier. Short end to this bit of the story is that the engine no=
w starts easily and runs great. Its carbs are only &#39;static tuned&#39; s=
o far but a nice, warm engine idle is already possible. Next step, the dyna=
mic tuning. I really enjoy that bit. Then the air cleaners go back on. But =
wait! There&#39;s more.</div><div dir=3D"auto">=C2=A0 =C2=A0After rebuildin=
g the fuel plumbing I added a couple of gallons of premium petrol to the ta=
nk only to discover a drip, drip, drip. The fuel tank is new but the fuel l=
evel sender seal has perished...or perhaps the retaining ring isn&#39;t ade=
quately tightened. So once I get back home, I&#39;ll pump the fuel back int=
o the fuel jugs so I can open the sender&#39;s seal. Waiting in the mailbox=
 at home is a new seal AND a new retaining ring. I don&#39;t want to risk t=
he old ring being bent or rusty.</div><div dir=3D"auto">=C2=A0 =C2=A0Also i=
n the fun queue before the interior cosmetic restoration recommences, is bl=
eeding the brakes again (all the cylinders and calipers are new), reinstall=
ing the cover over the pedal-to-master cylinders, and readjusting the brake=
 light switch.</div><div dir=3D"auto">=C2=A0 =C2=A0I also have a new Al rad=
iator to go on. The OEM radiator is plugged and quite inefficient. That&#39=
;s in the queue too.</div><div dir=3D"auto">=C2=A0 =C2=A0Yeah, lots of fun =
to be had all before temperatures in Houston fall low enough to permit comf=
ortable, open air motoring. I&#39;ll save you the descriptions of the cosme=
tic work remaining to be completed. But suffice to say, it&#39;s mostly pan=
els, a bit of refinishing, a seat diaphragm or two, and a top.</div><div di=
r=3D"auto">=C2=A0 =C2=A0Thanks for reading. I&#39;m happy to be back in tou=
rica&#39;s South Coast=C2=A0</div></div>
/a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs"; rel=3D"noreferrer" t=
arget=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a> <a href=3D"http://au=
tox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.tea=