Re: [Mgs] 58 mga

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] 58 mga
From: Paul Hunt <paulbhunt73@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 08:18:53 +0000

--------------e84CnhfT25rJuf20ZCtEGlV2

What's the biting point like?  If that's fine then leave it alone.

I don't know the MGA master but on the MGB the master piston comes back
to the circlip in the bore and positions the resting position of the
pedal, and that determines how much 'throw' you have at the pedal, the
slave cylinder and hence the release bearing.  Slop in the linkage at
the pedal puts it closer to the floor and results in less slave piston
movement and hence a lower biting point.  The same is not true of the
linkage at the clutch end as a spring inside the slave cylinder pushes
the piston out to take up all the play at that end, and more importantly
to compensate for the graphite release bearing wearing down.  The more
that wears the further the piston moves out, drawing fluid down from the
master reservoir, so you continue to get a full stroke of the release
arm.  That makes the MGB clutch system self-adjusting, and there is no
scope for threaded adjustment anywhere in the system.  But as I say that
is the MGB not the MGA.

PaulH.

On 29/10/2023 23:49, dave northrup wrote:

> I am reassembling the car; it was never running and driving under my
> ownership.
>
> I noticed today as Iâ??m attempting to get the car running and driving
> for the first time that there is play in the clutch in the rod that
> goes into the master.
>
> It is threaded about as far out as it can go.
>
> It occurred to me that I could thread a rod so that there is virtually
> no play, and that the as soon as you press the clutch pedal it will
> move inside the master.  It also occurred to me that that might be a
> bad idea. Can/should I do that?  or will it push too far inside the
> master and cause additional problems?  It isnâ??t more than about ½â?? of
> play or so

--------------e84CnhfT25rJuf20ZCtEGlV2

<!DOCTYPE html>
  <head>
  </head>
      alone.</p>
[...]
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:f0749b4467b54c8a96fb6b7bc8ee7237@ranteer.com">
        content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)">
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
        {margin:0in;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        mso-ligatures:standardcontextual;}span.EmailStyle17
        {mso-style-type:personal-compose;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        color:windowtext;}.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}</style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
          running and driving under my ownership.<o:p></o:p></p>
          the car running and driving for the first time that there is
          play in the clutch in the rod that goes into the master.
          <o:p></o:p></p>
          go.<o:p></o:p></p>
          so that there is virtually no play, and that the as soon as
          you press the clutch pedal it will move inside the master.  It
          also occurred to me that that might be a bad idea. Can/should
          I do that?  or will it push too far inside the master and
          cause additional problems?  It isnâ??t more than about ½â?? of
          play or so<o:p></o:p></p>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Mgs@autox.team.net";>Mgs@autox.team.net</a>

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/archive";>http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/paulbhunt73@gmail.com";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/paulbhunt73@gmail.com</a>
</pre>

--------------e84CnhfT25rJuf20ZCtEGlV2--

--===============3383814493821742327==