Plus-8 Exhaust Set-Up and Overheating

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Plus-8 Exhaust Set-Up and Overheating
From: del@pscc.com (David E. Labovitz)
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 1995 00:45:10 -0500
Anyone out there conversant with early Plus-8's?

If so, I'd appreciate some advice in the areas of exhaust system set-up and
overheating.

Exhaust:  My 1971 rhd +8 hasn't seen its factory exhaust system for a long
time.  What I have now is a pair of pipes with integral can mufflers under
the running boards and resonator/tips on the tailpipes.  The tailpipes
themselves, deformed into ovals, go outside the frame right next to the
rear tires, with hardly any clearance.  I haven't found a way, with or
without the resonator/tips, to quiet the system enough to make it bearable.
More than 20 minutes produces a severe headache.  The only thing any of
the usual Morgan purveyors seem to suggest is a stainless steel, very
expensive system that promises to be no quieter.  Any suggestions or
experience?

Overheating:  Is this usual on these cars?  I've replaced the water pump,
and the electric fan runs whenever the ignition is on.  Maybe I just need
to work through the whole system, flush it well, and be sure the radiator's
clear.  But then again, maybe it's typical of +8's.  Any advice or
experiience?

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

David E. Labovitz       Potomac Scheduling      (del@pscc.com)