Re: Selling price for 64 +4 4 seater?

To: onstottc@ucs.orst.edu
Subject: Re: Selling price for 64 +4 4 seater?
From: "Blair, John" <JBLAIR@hermes.massolant.navy.mil>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 08:23:35 GMT+5 (EDT)
 Curt writes:

> This car was disassembled by the previous owner for restoration.
>
> Mechanically the car is complete.  The drivetrain was fortunately not
> monkeyed with.  The engine (Triumph 2.0 Liter) and
> transmission (Moss Box) are in good shape.  All of the instruments aand
> hardware is there.  My main reason for wanting to sell is that there is not
>enough
> reference material to help me put it back together.

   Check with the varioius clubs.  I belong to the Morgan club of DC.
and the Texas club.  There is a club based out of Wash. / Origon
area.  If you want their address let me know and I look it up for
you.

   The reason for mentioning this, is that from 1988 to '92 I
restored my '65 and wrote about 18 articles (118 pages) on the
subject.  If you find anyone that is a wrench turner, they will
usually help you to learn.  My articles have been published by
the DC, Texas, Fla, Wash, and England clubs.

>  This would be an excellent car for someone who knows more
> about Morgans.  My question is:
> how much should I ask for the car?  Or should I tough it out and finish
> the restoration?

    The last basket case I saw (2 years ago), I offered $2,000.  The owner
ended up giving it away.  So it is up to you.  I have 1740+ documented hours
in the restoration of my car.  Do you have the time?  It will cost
money.  I spent about $5,000 on parts, $1,500 on paint and supplies
and about $1000 on tools (mostly a compressor).

    The other option, if you are loaded, contract out the
restoration.  However, be carefull if you do.  I've had several
friends do that.  Unfortunately, they have been very unhappy with the
results.

John
>        Curt Onstott                    |      Phone: 737-1483
> Consultant, Information Services       |      Email: onstottc@ucs.orst.edu
>   Oregon State University              |      Office: MCC 150

John

 John T. Blair  (WA4OHZ)  - jblair@massolant.navy.mil
 NAVMASSO Code 331        - Phone (804) 523-8133 (Comm)
 1441 Crossways Blvd.                   565-8133 (DSN)
 Chesapeake, VA. 23320-2843