Chassis numbers

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Chassis numbers
From: "Blair, John" <JBLAIR@hermes.massolant.navy.mil>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 08:21:02 -0500
Dave writes:

> I have been asked by on of the subscribers to this list about
> where to locate the chassis numbers on 60's vintage 4 seaters.
> As there are several of you out there, perhaps you could post
> a response to the whole list (ie morgans@autox.team.net). Responding
> to questions of general interest in this manner will help all
> of us.

There are several places.
  a.  The most obvious is the plaque from the factory
      on the tool box under the bonnet.
  b.  The second is (but not always) on the chassis
      cross stringer behind the floorboard for the
      seat pan.
  c.  The parts for each car is given appears to be
      given a production number that is NOT the chassis
      number (or VIN).  However, the factory can usually
      cross ref. this number for you.  I found this
      number on many of the wooden parts, ie, the back
      side of the dash, the rear fender panels, and
      the floor boards if I remember correctly.
      For instance my Chassis # (VIN) is B1109 however,
      the parts marked for my car had 5101 marked on
      them.

John T. Blair
47 TR1800      48 #4 Midget      65 Morgan Series V
      75 Bricklin SV1        77 Spitfire

John

 John T. Blair  (WA4OHZ)  - jblair@massolant.navy.mil
 NAVMASSO Code 331        - Phone (804) 523-8133 (Comm)
 1441 Crossways Blvd.                   565-8133 (DSN)
 Chesapeake, VA. 23320-2843