Re: Front end camber

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Subject: Re: Front end camber
From: Martin Kurrein <mograces@mkurrein.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 08:37:35 +0100
In message <199608062157.RAA13500@marlin.exis.net>, "John T. Blair"
<jblair@exis.net> writes
>There has been some talk about the front end camber lately.
>
>The following is an excerpt from Fred Sisson's book "Notes from a Morgan
>Garage"?  Quoting for the 7th printing version, Sectoin 4,
>page 26&27
>
>" Morgans are designed with a generous amount of positive camber in the
>front suspension.  Look at your car from the front and you will see that the
>front wheels seem to slant out at the top.  That's "positive" camber.  The
>camber is built into the front sliding hub.  Factory spec is 2 degrees
>positive camber.
>
>  For increased cornering power, it is standard practice to re-set the
>wheels so that they slant in a bit at the top.  This is called "decambering
>the front end" or setting "negative" camber.  Again, according to John
>Sheally, street cars can run with around 1/2 degree of negative camber with
>no ill effects as far as tire wear is concerned.  The negative camber does
>really make a difference in the "bite" that the tires take under hard
>cornering.  More negative camber on a street car than 1/2 degree and you
>start inducing tire wear.  Race and autocross cars run around 1 1/2 degrees
>of negative camber.
>
>  Reducing the positive camber will make low-speed steering a bit stiffer.
>You will probably notice no difference at speed.  To set negative camber,
>you need to remove the bottom of the kingpin, out a bit. ......"
>
>Hope this helps some.
>
>John
>John T. Blair  WA4OHZ          email:  jblair@exis.net
>Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229
>
>48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget  65 Morgan 4/4 Series V
>     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire
>
>The one with the most toys, wins!

I think you'll find that for some years the cars have been built (if to
spec. !) with between 1/2 and 1 1/2 degrees negative camber.

Several companies produce negative camber plates to adjust this.
---
Martin Kurrein 199 Strand                The older I get the faster I was.
mkurrein@mkurrein.co.uk
http://www.mkurrein.co.uk/mog1.html  -   The Morgan Motor Company Challenge