Re: Mounting steering box

To: pdburket@intrepid.net (David & Pat), morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mounting steering box
From: "Steve Manwell" <Steve_Manwell@WE-KNOW-ENERGY.XENERGY.COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 96 10:08:56 EST
     Hi David,

     I also mounted the steering box on my +4 ('54) to a new frame and
     frame front.  You bring up a good point about clearance of the pitman
     arm: I'll have to check this.

     It sounds like you're on the right track though.  I located the holes
     in the frame front side plates and the top flange of the frame as best
     I could by measuring from the same reference points on the new and old
     parts  -- i.e. front edges of frame and frame front.  In my case the
     firewall / bulkhead was new too, so I had some room for adjustment
     where the column goes through the bulkhead because holes for the alloy
     mounting plate were not yet drilled.  If your bulkhead is original,
     then you will want to bolt on this mounting plate for one more
     reference point.  It seems to me that the whole arrangement is
     designed such that +/- a 1/16th inch (maybe an 1/8th!) doesn't make
     much difference.  Hopefully I won't be proven wrong when I check the
     pitman arm clearance, or, eventually, when I get the rest of the car
     together.

     I think I also put on the steering wheel and checked the clearance
     between the wheel rim and the rolled edge of the body over the
     dashboard -- gotta leave room for those fingers...

     --Steve