Re: Break lines / Door locks

To: pdburket@intrepid.net (David & Pat), morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Break lines / Door locks
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 15:42:16 -0400
At 11:09 AM 8/25/96 -0400, David & Pat wrote:

> I am looking for a source in the US for cupro- nickel break line at
> a reasonable price.  Is there such a place?

David,

   I don't know for sure.  I'd probably look for stainless steel lines.
However, be forwarned, if you use brake lines supplied by as
US firm (ie. any auto parts store) be sure to check the diameter and
thread pitch of the new lines before using them.  In the back of my
mind, it seems to me that when I restored my Morgan, I was checking
for the long brake line that goes from the front to the rear.  Bob
Couch of Morgan Spares had it in is catalogue and I beleive there was
either a comment in the catalogue or I had a discussion with him on
phone about the required fittings.  If the fittings are different,
Bob sells just the fittings.  So you will have to purchase a line
longer than you need, cut of one end, slide the old fittings off,
put the new ones on.  Now comes the problem.  Brake lines are NOT
a single compression, they use what is called a double compression
flare.  The tools for making this flare are more expensive than the
single compression flaring tools.  Eastwood sells a Double-Single Flaring
Kit (#1075) for $32.95.

This might not be a problem but something to check out.

As for the door locks, can't help.  My 65 doesn't have such animals.

John

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire

The one with the most toys, wins!