Re: Air Filters on pre '68 +4

To: CigrBill@concentric.net
Subject: Re: Air Filters on pre '68 +4
From: gdm@po.cwru.edu (G D. Mc Coy)
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 08:18:02 -0400
Reply to message from CigrBill@concentric.net of Wed, 04 Sep

>Armando wrote:
>>
>> >You guys got me worried about filters on a +4, so I faxed Melvyn Rutter
>> >for info.  They have an air filter box ("+4 pre '68 as original") for
>> >about 70 pounds.  Does anyone have one of these instaled? I would
>appreciate hearing from
>> >anyone that has filters on a +4 with SU's before I shell out 70 pounds.
>>
>> Armando- Sorry for the delay but we just got back form a week in upstate MI.
>> I reciently purchased one of these units from MR. It works (and fits) fine.
>> No modifications needed. All I needed to do was make two cork gaskets. GO
>> for it!>
>>

>I have one of these filters but I have it sitting on the shelf in my
>garage.

>I use a Uni-Syn to balance my carbs.  I know that this air filter is
>going to unevenly distribute air to the carbs.  I can't figure out how
>to balance the carbs "and" use the air filter.

Bill et al: I ws also worried about air flow differences between front and
rear carbs. But I have not noticed any difference in performance since
installing this box. Perhaps someone out there could talk about the rates
of air flow into carbs. In my view a differential air flow situation would
only occurif flow INTO the filter box was equal to or less than air flow
into the sum of the intakes of both carbs. I'd get that puppy of the shelf
and onto your motor and "do the experiment"!

Dave McCoy

--
G. David McCoy, PhD    Dept. of Environmental Health Sciences
gdm@po.cwru.edu        School of Medicine