Re: Oven Cleaner

To: GGORMAN@dsava.com (Gorman, George), shop-talk@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Oven Cleaner
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 18:21:02 -0400
At 10:59 AM 9/16/96 EST, Gorman, George wrote:

> But I have yet to find anything that degreases engines better
> than oven cleaner.  Haven't tried it on aluminum heads though.
> Anyone got anything better?

Several years ago my wife (MAC) gave me a Turbo washer for Father's
Day.  It is a long wand with several different nozzels and has a
place to put soap in.  I've used this and DAWN dishwashing detergent
with pretty good results.

As of late, I've been using a produce called Purple sold at many
of the auto parts store here (in Va, USA).  However, this product
is NOT kind to aluminum and painted surfaces like firewalls and
fender wells.  So if you use it, try not to get it directly on
AL. or painted surfaces.  Spray it on, let it stand for a couple
of minutes and wash off with the garden hose.

I also used Varsol in pump bottle.  I take my car to the Wishy-
Washy (the you clean car washes with the high pressure wands).
I spray the Varsol over the engine compartment, let is set for
a minute or so, then hit it with the high pressure water.  Some
of these car washes have a "engine clean" mode where they uses
some cleaner other than just soap.

After the engine has been cleaned, and painted.  I've found that
WD-40 and a rag does an excellent job at maintaining the
cleanliness of the engine.  The WD-40 will break down any grease
and oil and then can be wipped up with a paper towel or shop rag.

John

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire

The one with the most toys, wins!