Re: [Fwd: stainless exhausts and posters]

To: smithmog@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: [Fwd: stainless exhausts and posters]
From: Jeremy Edwards <jeremy@jmemee.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 21:56:34 +0100
smithmog@ix.netcom.com writes
>1)Has anyone had any experience with stainless steel exhaust systems? The
>old 4/4 system is getting,um ,somewhat rorty and I have given some
>serious thought to one of those stainless systems I've seen in Hemmings,
>but I've been told that they SOUND strange(different harmonic resonance
>periods or somesuch)

Snip

My car has a full stainless steel system which was fabricated for me. It
still seems a little deep and a little loud for a 4/4 1600! (but the
neighbours aren't complaining).

The fabricator told me that some stainless systems sound a little
"tinny" as thinner gauge metal is often used and the boxes are often
poorly braced. As corrosion is less of a problem with stainless, cheaper
systems often use barely adaquate metal, as scaling won't thin it too
quickly.

I mentioned your post to him and he suggests that a "mid-price" system
will probably suit you, the rational- too cheap, thin metal, too
expensive, waste of money!
--
Jeremy Edwards
1972 Morgan 4/4 2 str