Re: Plus four parts question

To: NKED65A@prodigy.com ( BOB NOGUEIRA)
Subject: Re: Plus four parts question
From: dlfreeman@ipa.net (Dave & Linda Freeman)
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 10:04:42 -0500
>-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #2.5.1 ] --
>
>David:
>  Can't be sure of this but I seem to remember that the  clutch plate is
>the same as the TRs. The pressure plate is not, but I believe it may be
>the same as  a A-H 3000.  I've also heard that the Damilier (sp?)
>pressure plate is a heavy duty version and can be used.  Of course I
>wouldn't lay out my money based on my knowledge but  I have no problem
>spending yours :)
>The water pumps are the same with the exception that Morgan machines the
>outer surface of the pulley to accept the fan mount. Triumph leaves it
>as a rough casting. The problem comes from the fact that there are two
>types of pumps which are interchangeable. The original had a pressed on
>pulley and after market pumps had a pulley which is bolted on.
>the shaft size for the bolt on is smaller so the original type pulley
>will not work on the bolt on pump.(found out the hard way, with MY money
>)
>Re the motor mounts I'm stumped.  I  know the front engine mounting
>plates are not TR  and my guess is that Morgan used the Vanguard front
>plate and mounts .
>
>------- REPLY, Original message follows --------
>
>> Date: Monday, 25-Nov-96 09:41 PM
>

>> I'm redoing my 61 +4 (TR 3 engine) and wonder if the motor mounts
>(rubber
>> parts) and Clutch pressure plate and driven plate are the same as TR3?
>Gives me
>> a few more options on purchase if true. Thanks for any insight.
>>
>> I believe I heard on this group that the water pump is the same as
>long as I
>> save the pulley and fan from mine ( bolt on type).
>> David Stillinger
>>

>-------- REPLY, End of original message --------
Regarding the Morgan front motor mounts they are different.  When you are
changing TR engines from a Triumph to a Morgan, you must change the front
plate which requires removing the timing hcain and sprockets.  Morgan motor
mounts are available from several sources in England.  The rear mounts are
also available from such sources as Melvin Ruter.

The water pumps are the same but Morgan got-you again as the pullies are
different.  The fan won't fit over the TR pulley.  If you are using an
electric fan, this wont matter.

The clutch covers are different as the throw out bearing is a carbon block
and requires a smooth surface to press upon.  The plate is the same.  Any
good rebuilder should be able to rebuild the clutch.  The one thing to be
aware of is the thickness of the spring wire and the number of turns of the
spring.  Some rebuilders use old springs for rebuilding.  You can get a
clutch which reaches coil buind before fully disengaging.  This will cause
the fingers to bend and the clutch job will have to be repeted because you
won't be able to disengage the clutch.  Racing recomends using a diaphragm
clutch and welding a regular throw out bearing welded to a modified
aluminum sleeve Morgan throw out bearing.

Response: from The Jolly Old Wood Troll of Bellflower

Dave and Linda Freeman  <http://www.ipa.net/~dlfreeman>
Living the Good Life