JPGs vs GIFs

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: JPGs vs GIFs
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 12:06:44 -0500
Awhile back there was a thread on JPEG files vs GIF files.  As I was
working on the Morgan Web page, I followed the discussion fairly
closely and did learn a few things.

In the last 2 to 3 weeks, I learned something else about the differences
between these two formats:

JPGs do NOT like line drawings or non-color intense pictures.
GIFs really like line drawings.

If you are to look at any of the graphics I used on the Morgan
Web page's restoration articles, you will notice that where I've
type in the words to describe something and even in many other places
on the drawings, the appear dirty, especially when printed out.
This is due to the jpg format.

However, in the last article I just put up ("It's what's up Front that
Counts!") you will notice how much sharper the drawings are.
These drawings were done using the GIF format.

When I was developing the graphics for all the articles, I scanned
them in, and then spent hours touching them up and replacing hand
written lables with typed lables in BMP format.  (The only graphics
tool I really have is "Paintbrush".)  Once completed, I converted
the drawings to JPGs with LVIEWPRO.  Much to my dismay, the dirty
edges appeared that were not in the original BMP file.

Anyway, someplace in the last 2 weeks I heard that I should be using
GIF format and did so on the last article.  The difference in the
presentation is remarkable.

It may be like so many things, that until you actually get hit over
the head with something, you don't realize that something was said.
(Or, only if you know the answer, you can find it in a book.)

Anyway, if this was discussed in the earlier thread, I appologize for
wasting everybodies time.  But I thought I'd pass along what I'd just
learned.

John

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire

The one with the most toys, wins!