Re: Radiator supports

To: GOTom@aol.com
Subject: Re: Radiator supports
From: "Steve Manwell"<smanwell@xenergy.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 18:07:16 -0400

Hi Tom,

             The radiator stays on my car ('54 cowled front 4 str) extend
          from the tabs on the radiator tank back to the front face of the
          tool box on top of the bulkhead.  The holes for the stays are
          about 8 1/2 inches in from the ends of the tool box and maybe an
          inch up from the bottom edge of the toolbox.   The battery fits
          between the stays with this arrangement.

             Unfortunately I can't comment on the slope of the stays
          because neither they nor the radiator are assembled onto the
          chassis yet.  I got to wondering whether the mounting position
          described above would be the same on a flat radiator car, so I've
          just looked through some of my photos.  Found photos of an
          earlier transition '54 4str in original condition with the same
          mounting as mine, but also found photos of a '52 or '3 flat rad 4
          str and a mid '50's cowled-front drophead -- both with the stays
          connected to the forward-most face of firewall (i.e. below the
          toolbox) at the upper/outer corners.  In this position the stays
          slope downward and outward quite a lot.

             --Steve Manwell