Morgan Plus 4, 1951 model

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Morgan Plus 4, 1951 model
From: Fred_H._Birkbeck@ieaust.org.au
Date: 05 Feb 1997 16:31:57 GMT
The MOSS gearbox on my 1951 Morgan Plus 4 becomes very hot during travel.
Within 10 km the gearbox casing is too hot to place a bare hand on it.  My
guess is that it is somewhere above 60 degrees Celsius.  The heat is NOT
being transferred from the motor through the alloy bell housing.
Can anybody please advise if this may be normal?
I have replaced the gearbox bearings with new bearings.  All else looks OK
and all shafts spin quite freely.  I am using the correct 30 weight gearbox
oil.
I would appreciate a reply if you have any information or knowledge that may
help me.  I will gladly acknowledge all replies.
Thank you in anticipation.  Best regards,  Fred Birkbeck