+4 Hand Brake

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: +4 Hand Brake
From: "Noah L. Anglin" <nlaark@hooked.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 1997 11:32:59 -0800
Greetings,

I have a 68 +4 4-seater that I have owned since 1973.  I recently
"broke" the hand brake cable (cable frayed and broke at the pedal end
linkage).

I ordered a new cable assy from Morgan Spares (who have always provided
me with good service over the years).  Upon receipt of the new cable
assy, I crawed under the car, removed the old cable assy and proceeded
to put the new cable in place.

After positioning the cable and threading it thru the appropriate
places, I fastened it at the rear axel linkage and then went to the
pedal linkage to fasten it prior to adjustment.  This is where I ran
into trouble.  The previous cable end "looks like" it was welded or
brazed to hold the cable to the ferrule after slipping it thru the
appro. holes.

I tried several ways of fastening the cable in place including crimping,
set screws thru the ferrule, etc.  I did this because I do not have any
method for welding or brazing.  With each of these methods, the first
time I pulled the hand brake, the cable end pulled loose from the
ferrule.

So, my question is, can anyone advise me as to the best way to fasten
the cable end to the ferrule?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Noah