esoteric units

To: "'morgans@Autox.Team.Net'" <morgans@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: esoteric units
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <VandergT@aecl.ca>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 15:38:39 -0500
Michael Miles states:

Come now, can't we be a bit more creative with the units of measure?  I
suggest Palm-Stones instead of Foot-Pounds might be more in keeping with
arcane yet descriptive measures.  (70 ft-lbs = 20 palm-stones, 1 palm =
3
inches, 1 stone = 14 pounds).

I considered Barleycorn-Pennyweights but that seemed TOO obscure.  (70
ft-lbs = 806400 Bc-Pw)

Any other suggestions?

"Entropy happens!"

Michael D. Miles, PE                      Consulting Design Engineer
mdmiles@teleport.com          (503) 292-1234     FAX: (503) 292-1105

Comment:

It must be a slow day in the consulting business, Mike!  But it reminds
me of a coworker who expressed his fuel consumption in reciprocal acres:
mpg = L / V = L/L^3 = L^-2.  In current Canadian terms, where we are
supposed to express fuel consumption in litres/100 km, we could use ares
or hectares.

(It's a slow day here, too)

Chuck Vandergraaf
'52 +4