Re: Auction - 4/4 Morgan

To: cigrbill@concentric.net, Morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Auction - 4/4 Morgan
From: NKED65A@prodigy.com ( BOB NOGUEIRA)
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 08:52:57, -0500
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --

That Will Zehring  is a tricky guy. I know this is a set up to see if he
can trick me into saying something nice about 4/4s .  :)  so I asked
Mark to be sure not to sent this message to him.  ( If he gets it I'll
deny all knowledge of the message and claim its from some 4/4 hacker)

Truthfully my knowledge of 4/4s is limited to having driven friends cars
. All of which were 60s vintage.  I believe after the  Plus 4  went out
of production Morgan started to "push" the 4/4 up in the line re horse
power and trim to close the gap between the 4/4 and  +8 .  This may have
been unintentional as Ford developed the engine.  I always have thought
of early 4/4s as the Morgans equivalent of the A-H Sprite  although it
should be the other way around since the 4/4 came first) .  I really
like the 4/4 look wise over the high body +4, and the engine with its
quick revs and HP at the upper end of the power band make it a fun car
to drive around the city. If you have a +4 and have never driven a 4/4
its like a totally different car.  The 1980 (or so) 4/4 I  have driven
was more comfortable than my +4, seemed to ride better and cruised as
well or better than my +4, but lacked the nimble feel of the 60's 4/4 s
that I have driven. Looking at what Bill Fink had to do to the car to
pass side impact tests makes it much tighter and greatly reduces the
cowl shudder and body twisting that you experience on a 60's Morgan.
Since most of my driving is done on long trips and on Texas wide open
spaces I prefer the +4 simply because  it cruises better and the higher
body is more comfortable if your going to sit in the car for 12 hours.
Later 4/4 may have had a lower (numerically) rear end which would put
the cruising RPMS at the same spot as the +4, with out the lost in
performance.
I'm sure some of the 4/4 owners on the list could address that better. I
have no experience with propane but everyone I know who has had one
hated it the first year then after becoming accustom to it found it to
be quit acceptable.
Re price and value:   In my opinion  any Morgan is not worth the money
if you are simply going to look at it from a practical point of view, (
Morgan does not appear to do a lot of fleet sales  which are generally
('best value" driven) . So  I fall  back on my classical answer of how
to determine if a Morgan is worth the asking price :   If after hearing
the price you pull your check book out of your pocket , its worth the
price to you , and thats what really matters..
My basic philosophy  on the money I have tied up in my Morgans is that I
get about the same return as  I would with a conservative  investment
and driving the car is a lot more fun than clipping coupons .

 I know we mst have some people on the list who have both a 4/4/ and a +
4.     I'd like to hear which they prefer and why.

Bob Nogueira

PS "Picking on 4/4 owners keeps me from always talking nuts and bolts"

----- REPLY, Original message follows --------

> Date: Wednesday, 19-Feb-97 04:54 PM
>
> From: William E. Irwin         \ Internet:    (cigrbill@worldnet.att.
net)