Re: the 4/4 +4 debate (fwd)

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: the 4/4 +4 debate (fwd)
From: William Zehring <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 09:14:24 -0500 (EST)
Fellow fiends:

My new best friend Steve Gilbert writes:

> After driving our "new" 4/4 for the last year... you must be right!  The
> 4/4 is so much fun!!!

And then continues the serious discussion with the following:

> I have a 67 4/4 (B1405) with a 1600 xflow engine and a webber downdraft
> carb.  No air cleaner (as stock) but this has me woried!  I do not know
> what setup you have but do you know of any air cleaner setup that will
> work?

Ah, air filters, the Achilles heel of the 4/4.  I have a more 'umble
engine than you do: a simple 1500 with a single throat down draft Solex
carb (but look out, it has an accelerator pump!).  No, I don't have an
air filter either, and I've quizzed over this quite a bit.  Some voices
say this is a bad accident waiting to happen, others say "wotdahell, the
factory didn't bother, so you shouldn't either."  I've sort of left it at
that for now, as I now and again ponder the prospects of finding a
"fresh" 1600 xflow and swapping in.  I'd be tempted to put twin SUs in
it, however, with some nice pancake filters.

> Also... I have the wooler shifter... do you?

Not sure what that is, unless you mean one that rises vertically out of
the floor, in which case I don't.  Mine is the 'standard' horizontal
variety, that emerges from the fire wall.  Requires a lot of left brain
activity to operate, which confirms my basic precept that the 4/4 is the
"thinking man's" mog!

> Keep up the debate!

I'm trying.  I recon the ball is in Bob's court now.

Have a Mog weekend!

Will "who seems to have nothing better to do at 9:15 this morning" Zehring