Re: gulp valve

To: "aMORGANS@autox.team.net" <Morgans@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: gulp valve
From: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 97 22:21:00 -0500
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --

While this topic is still warm, I am taking a break from pulling the engine
on my +4 to  replace the oil soaked clutch, rear seal and bearings. I tried
to locate a supplier of the newer type seal conversion kit  but Moss'
response was that they were reengineering it and would have it back out in a
few months .
My question is regarding Davids experience with the gulp valve, My 64 has
the draft tube type breather, anyone know if the Gulp valve helps reduce the
leakage of oil out the seal  better than the draft tube?
Thanks

Bob Nogueira,

> Date: Thursday, 13-Mar-97 09:50 PM
>
> From: William E. Irwin         \ Internet:    (cigrbill@worldnet.att.net)
> To:   David McCoy              \ Internet:    (gdm@po.cwru.edu)
> cc:   MORGANS@autox.team.net   \ Internet:    (morgans@autox.team.net)
>
> Subject: Re: Vacuum
>
> David McCoy wrote:
> >
> > Hi folks- My '66 +4 has a pollution vacuum device kown alternativly as
> > either a "gulp valve" or a "Smiths  valve"  All of the hose connections
are
> > shown in detail in the catalog I got from Morgan Spares.
> >
> > Dave McCoy
> >
> > G. David McCoy, PhD                             phone: (216) 368-5963
> > Department of Environmental Health Sciences       fax: (216) 368-3194
> > Case Western Reserve University                  email: gdm@po.cwru.edu
> > School of Medicine
> > Cleveland, OH 44106
>
> David, keep that gulp valve functioning correctly connected to the  carbs.

> Your crankcase depends upon the gulp valve to relieve pressure.
>
> I know, my was not functioning and I blew oil out through the rear seal.
>  Fixed the gulp valve, including new diaphram.  Rear seal seems to be
holding.

> But --- The oil out the rear seal bathed my clutch plates.  With time
some
> burned off, but it still is slipping.  Any ideas short of a new  clutch
job?

>         Bill

Bob Nogueira
74 MGBGT