noises

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: noises
From: AJA <alanaron@norfolk.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 18:14:20 -0500 (EST)
I checked a new water pump I just installed on my '64+4. It was bought from
Moss Motors. No grease fitting. I think I remember reading on the info that
came with it that it was self lubricated.

I replaced it when I found out why a '60 190 SL I was restoring made a lot
of engine noise. It was the bearings in the water pump. I tried removing the
belt from the Mog that seemed to have a similar problem, and sure enough the
noise disappeared. On removing the pump it was apparent there was a lot of
play in the rotor.

The pump will be working and cooling the engine, but with all that wind
rushing by your ears, who needs the extra noise!

Alan Aron
64 +4