More on Decarbonising

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: More on Decarbonising
From: steve@tap.csiro.au (Steve Moore)
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 14:17:50 +1000
Excuse my ignorance but I thought the need for decarbonising was largely
circimvented with modern fuels (gas, petrol, what you will). A properly
tuned engine, and it IS possible with twin SUs, surely should not build up
excess carbon deposits.

One problem here in Australia is the progressive lowering of the octane
rating of fuel available for older engines. This is mainly due to the
lowering of lead levels in Super Grade fuel, which may be a good thing
enviromentally (although the evidence for this has never been properly
tested) but plays havoc with high compression engines. One solution
suggested to me was to mix equal volumes of leaded and premium unleaded
fuel. This was supposed to result in an octane rating higher than either on
the components. One problem I found with this was the dye and detergents
present in the unleaded fuel left a lot of mess around the caburettors.
Does anyone know if this mix does result in higher octane fuel or is it an
urban myth circulated amonst petrol heads?

Cheers

Steve Moore

Dr. Stephen Moore
CSIRO Tropical Agriculture