Bias Ply Versus Radials- The Morgan Shimmy Is Worse With?

To: Morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Bias Ply Versus Radials- The Morgan Shimmy Is Worse With?
From: ebrown@ms.com
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 15:35:25 -0400
     I replaced my HM Tourist (Avon)5.25x16 with 165r400 Michelin
     tires/tyres over the weekend. The great big shimmy that resulted
     therefrom is due, I suspect, to one of the tyres/tires not being
     completely seated in its mounting, so I will remove all, re-examine,
     and try again to balance same. Smooth ride is gone because of said
     shimmy but even with the built in vibration but the car corners (with
     30 lbs of air) a whole lot better. The shimmy going down the Merritt
     Parkway at (any) speed reminded me of a cross-ply versus radial debate
     from years ago.

     (There is, by the way, just enough room between the sidewall of the
     tyre/tire in the front and the spring top to get my fingers in there,
     or about 1/3 of an inch. Sisson warns about the whole mess deflecting
     enough to tear up the sidewall: we'll certainly see about that as I
     pull off the wheels this week.)

     I remember years ago discovering, with a BMW 1600/2 that I had in
     1967-70 that replacing cross ply tires with radials created a world of
     problems, with the macpherson strut suspension being much more
     sensitive to radial tire imbalances than to cross ply tire imbalances.
     I wondered about that with the Morgan, but decided that this
     suspension didn't really resemble a mac strut at all (actually....) so
     probably wouldn't have these problems.

     The question, as I see it is this:Do Morgan owners prefer radial or
     cross ply tires? Part 2 of the question:, revisting a question that I
     caught the very tail end of just after getting on the eemail list:
     once suspension bits are rebuilt and set according to spec, how do
     people cope with shimmy?

     By the way, a faulty condenser (Fine on Friday, dead on Saturday) kept
     me from getting to Lime Rock on time to run this past weekend. I have
     plenty of condensers, but by the time I traced it down, it was too
     late to register for the track. Lucas, prince of slowness.

     Chip Brown