Re: Clutch

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch
From: Les Burkholder <les_burkholder@sunshine.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 1997 09:32:17 -0700
John T. Blair wrote

> Les,
>
>    For starters, it sounds like you hit all the major easy stuff, rebuild
> master cyl & slave cyl.  I'd readjust the pedal back down to about even
> with the brake pedal.
>
>    You didn't mention the rod that goes from the slave cyl. to the release
> fork.  It should be threaded with a nut that fits into the release fork.
> This is where you should adjust the clutch play.  With the clutch pedal
> released there should be about 1/8" play in the rod.  If the rod has no
> play, you will in effect be riding the clutch and it will possibly slip.
> If there is too much play, then the clutch pedal will have to be mashed
> all the way to the floor before the clutch starts to disengage, and as soon
> as you start to let the pedal out, the clutch will engage.

On my 4/4 there is a fixed length of rod without threads and nut. This
rod fits into a depression in the fork.  I do have 1/8 in. of play,

>   If you've tried this, or this doesn't work, it's possibly that you got
> a bad throw out bearing or a bad clutch plate.  I've had problems on my
> Volvo P1800 with both a bad throw out bearing and a bad clutch plate.  Had
> to pull the xmission down 3 times to get the right parts in.So,
>
>   One other possiblity, did the clutch plate get installed correctly?
Yes, this was checked several times.  This should have shown up much
earlier I would think as I have been driving it over a year.

> There is a right and wrong way to put the in.  According to the shop
> manual, the "hub" should be away from the engine.  Looking up in my TR3
> manual, this should translate to the springs should be away from the engine.
>
> Hope this helps

Thanks for the suggestions, greatly appreciated.

Les