Re: spring compressors (was: front end rebuild)

To: zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU
Subject: Re: spring compressors (was: front end rebuild)
From: "Blair, John" <jblair@virgo.massolant.navy.mil>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 11:36:02 -5
> One more question before I jump into this:  Both John B. and Fred S.
> suggest the use of a sort of home made apparatus for slowly relieving or
> restoring the tension in the main springs.  I have seen spring compressors
> in auto parts stores/departments and am wondering if these commercially
> available items will do the trick.....

Will,

  You DON'T need a spring compressor.  In fact, I have both an
internal and external compressors.  They won't work on the Morgan due
to the size of the spring.  When I rebuilt the front end on my Morgan
back in 88, we got the old springs out very easily.  However, we
couldn't get the new ones in.  So my dad and I made a special spring
compressor.  However, that didn't work either.  It turns out that the
spare set of springs I had were for a +4 and not the 4/4.  The +4's
springs are about 1 to 2" shorter than the 4/4 springs and have more
energy stored.  Once I found that out, I re-installed my original 4/4
springs with no problems.

John

 John T. Blair  (WA4OHZ)  - jblair@massolant.navy.mil
 NAVMASSO Code 331        - Phone (804) 523-8133 (Comm)
 1441 Crossways Blvd.                   565-8133 (DSN)
 Chesapeake, VA. 23320-2843