Re: pilgrim's progress (was: kingpins)

To: zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU
Subject: Re: pilgrim's progress (was: kingpins)
From: "Blair, John" <jblair@virgo.massolant.navy.mil>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 15:51:57 -5
> While all of this front end stuff is going on I need to take a closer look
> at my steering box.  I reported earlier on a leak at the seal there.  I now
> am in posession of a new seal and intend to replace it.  All of this leads
> to the following questions:
>
> 1.    Any experience out there with the dismantling of the steering box?  (I
> haven't seen it mentioned on the tech pages; I suspect its one of those
> things no one ever has to do.)

Will, it's been done by some.  However, not too much you can do in
thar.  So far, I've been lucky and haven't had to open mine up.  BTW,
anybody noticed the little rubber button about 1/2 way up the
steering column tube?  If you pull on it, it will come off.  Know
why?  You are supposed to add some erl (fer ya yanks - I guess it's
oil) to keep the seals moist and the steering box full.  I think
Fred has an article in his book on adjusting the steering box
also - I lifted Fred's info - with his permission).

> 2.    Any suggestions on a supplier of whitworth sockets/box wrenches?

I got my from SNAP-ON about 25 years ago.  There is a place on the
Net:

   British  BSW & BSF bolts, studs, etc. (hard to find)
   http://www.majon.com/www/british.html

you might try them.

> 3.    It it remotely possible that reassembly is the reverse of disassembly?

Basically, yes!!  Check Gerry's article: "It's what's up Front that
Counts".  I think he discusses adjusting the dampener plates and the
cross tie bars.  That's the only thing that isn't obvious.

John

 John T. Blair  (WA4OHZ)  - jblair@massolant.navy.mil
 NAVMASSO Code 331        - Phone (804) 523-8133 (Comm)
 1441 Crossways Blvd.                   565-8133 (DSN)
 Chesapeake, VA. 23320-2843