Looking for Chrome Plater

To: MORGANS@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Looking for Chrome Plater
From: CTDreher@aol.com
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 09:42:52 -0400 (EDT)
HI Ya'll,

Has anyone had a GOOD experience with a chrome or specialty-plating company?
 So far I've tried two that were advertised in Hemming:  Martin's of
Philadelphia and Plating Service of Chilton, Wisc.  The first almost lost one
piece (if I hadn't called and checked on the order, it would have been thrown
out with the trash) and the other treats customers like this is a hobby AND
mixed-up my order with someone else's parts.  I won't use either again,
although in all fairness, Martin's did nice work (but at really high
prices.).

So... I'm still looking.  Anyone have someone else to recommend?

SPEAKING OF RECOMMENDATIONS... I've been restoring a '33 Morgan and needed
specialty stainless steel nuts and bolts.  Here are two firms I can recommend
100 %:

For odd Brit threads:
D. Middleton Stainless Steel Components
Unit 5
Lady Ann Mills
Batley
West Yorkshire  WF17 0PS
FAX:  01924 470764

For anything SAE:
Totally Stainless
1709 Old Harrisburg Rd.
Gettysburg, PA  17325
FAX:  717-337-1663

and

Material Search Co.
PO Box 13334
Pittsburgh, PA  15243
FAX:  412-341-0859

"Totally Stainless" has a good selection of Grade-8 stainless, which is the
ONLY thing you should use for suspension, brakes, etc.

I should also mention "British Tools & Fasteners"... in a BAD way.  I sent an
email requesting prices and a catalog.  No answer.  I FAXED.  No answer.  I
CALLED them and was told the were too busy working on the new catalog.
 Funny... I'm too busy to do business with them.

I ended up buying a few hundred bucks worth of ss bolts from these companies.
 Still had to have a machine shop turn studs for a few odd-ball applications,
such as the four studs that mount a trike transmission to the frame.  More
big $$.  But it's done and I won't have to do it again.

BTW, I had some cad-plating put on some of the tranny parts that are
unprotected cast iron or plain steel.  Hmmm...  Don't like the way it came
out.  Too bright and silvery.  I think I would have been better off getting
them buffed and powder-coated.  Live and learn.  Of course, they' won't
surface-rust now.

- Carl Dreher