Re: Broken cross frame

To: oes@npartners.se (Nilsson & Partners AB)
Subject: Re: Broken cross frame
From: steve@tap.csiro.au (Steve Moore)
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 08:18:04 +1000
Dear Kenneth,

My crossframe broke at the top casting (where the kigpin oiler screws in).
Unfortunately this was halfway round a fast corner at the local hillclimb
circuit so the result was a little more sver. The front right hand
suspension ended up completely detached from the car.

Fortunately the castings have not changed since 1951 and are available from
the factory at a small price. The entire front suspension rebuild cost me
only about $300 Australian.

Traps for young players are that the tubes should be brazed (not welded)
into the cross frame and the end castings. The best place to have this sort
of work done is at a mototcycle repair or restoration garage. They will
probably have the correct size seamless tube available off the rack as
well.

Getting the geometry right without a jig can be tricky as well. Does anyone
out there have experience with this? We managed to within 1/2 degree of
camber from side to side. I figured that with the amount of chassis flex
going on this was within resonable tolerance.

Cheers

Steve Moore

PS. Morgan does have a web page but I don't have the URL handy. The factory
will take phone orders for parts on credit card. It takes about 6-8 days
between ordering and delivery to my house in Australia, using the normal
post for small items. That about 3-5 times faster than I can get some parts
for my 1996 model Mitsubishi! Thats progress I guess.

>Hello out there!
>Does anybody know if the Morgan Factory has a web-site?
>The other day the part in my crossframe, connected to the wheels
>was broken. Terrible things could have happened, but it did not.
>Any information will be highly appreciated.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Kenneth Nilsson in Sweden
>
>Morgan +4 1959 (with a broken crossframe)

Dr. Stephen Moore
CSIRO Tropical Agriculture
Molecular Animal Genetics Centre
Level 3, Gehrmann Laboratories