Re: engine upgrade

To: WJBDLB@aol.com
Subject: Re: engine upgrade
From: steve@tap.csiro.au (Steve Moore)
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 08:13:09 +1000
The engine upgrade should be a straight forward in and out job. However
when looking for a 1600 GT engine make sure you get the GOOD block. Ford
went through a number of interations here. All blocks have a number cast
into them just above where the starter motor sits. The best series start
with the numbers 711MXXXXX (I forget how many number exactly after the M).
The differences include stronger main bearing caps and wider lobe cam shaft
with bigger cam followers. I believe these blocks are slightly lighter than
the others as well.

If you are searching for a complete engine with all the fittings try to get
one with a Bosch distributor or have an Hitachi distributor (Datsun/Nissan)
modified to fit the engine. An electronic ignition kit (eg Allison or
Luminition) is a great idea, as on the cross flow engine the distridutor
sits under the carbs and at the pointy end of the engine bay. The less
frequently you have to skin your knuckles adjusting points and setting
timing the better.

All the Ford cross flow engine breathe rather heavily. Make sure all the
plumbing for the PCV valve is correct otherwise you will find oil vapour
coming from all sorts of places.

Cheers

Steve Moore

>I am considering changing my 1498 cc engine on my 66 4/4 comptition to the
>1600 GT engine.  I am doing this for a bit more power, as well as the
>availability of parts.  The car is also used regulary and could use a bit
>more power.
>
>Well, I have located an engine, and I see there will be major modifications
>re exhaust etc.
>
>What kind of trouble can I expect if I try to swap engines.  I have been told
>that fit is ok.
>
>desi benet
>wjbdlb@aol.com
>66 morgan 4/4 competition