FW: RE: different issues

To: morgans
Subject: FW: RE: different issues
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 18:35:44 -0700 (MST)
[BOUNCE morgans@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from [Steve Moore
<steve.moore@cnetns.tcp.csiro.au>]]

     Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 11:39:47 +1000
     From: Steve Moore <steve.moore@cnetns.tcp.csiro.au>
     Subject: RE: different issues

Arlo,

1987 was when the factory was just becoming proactive about build quality.
You can always tell if an older car has been rebuilt, the finish is usually
so much better than the factory's. In the 60's and 70's they used to
construct the cars and then spray paint them, the result being that the
bits of the wings etc which were not exposed did not get painted!

As for the bonnet rubbing, its funny but thay all do that. If you can find
a solution I'm sure the factory would be interested. In the meantime you
can purchase these little triangular rubber thingies that fit over the
corners of the bonnet and so minimise the loss of paint. Check also the
brass fittings at either end of the chrome central bonnet hinge. These wear
at the point where the bonnet rubs against them (impossible to see unless
you take them off). This allows a forward and aft movement in the bonnet
which can contribute to the problem. These parts are readily available
(they have not changed the design since 1936) and inexpensive from the
factory. They accept credit cards if you fax the order and will post the
parts to you, takes about 6 days to Australia which is quicker than I can
get parts for my locally built tin top.

Cheers

Steve Moore