Christmas Trip

Subject: Christmas Trip
From: arlo j levisen <alevisen@gdhscats.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 11:14:17 +0000
Today we leave in our Morgan for about a 4,500 mile trip to Dallas, TX.,
Yuma, AZ., San Diego and Los Angeles, CA., Las Vegas, NV. and Denver,
CO.  Last year we used our 1991 Miata for our Christmas jaunt - but this
year it is "Morgantime".

I have had a number of minor problems with the 1987 Plus 8 that we
purchased on the 22nd day of November from Cantab Motors in VA., and I
appreciate all the help in understanding why certain things might be the
way they are.  I really like to understand why certain things may be
going on with our cars, on the one hand, and I like to have them look
their best, on the other.  Since the Morgan threw off it's second wheel
hub we will be going with one too few - but I guess I can live with
that.

I did get my new stainless steel plinth installed this weekend and found
that the original plastic one was broken, thereby letting gasoline seep
in over the rubber and then crinkle the chrome.  The original plinths
are really too cheap and cheaply made to be on such a car!

I have a response to the question of the restoration of a 1938 Morgan.
My wife and I have restored five (5) "big" American cars and we are
currently doing a ground-up/body-off restoration on a 1952 Cadillac
convertible.  We also own three (3) older sports cars from the
1960's/70's that we are constantly restoring/improving/upgrading.

We have now spent a little over $35,000 on the Cadillac and aren't even
close to having a running car.  Our car was not in pieces at the time of
our purchase, but it was close to the proverbial basket case.  Frankly,
if we had it to do over again, we would have skipped this project.
Unless you have a bottomless budget (which we don't) and are relatively
young (we are 52/53 - purchased the Caddy now 3 yrs. ago) - you are much
better off, in my humble opinion, buying a running car and then do at
least a ground-up restoration on it.  Even that will shock you in terms
of the cost.

With the numbers you quoted - you'll sail right past them in the first
year and all of your purchased will easily fit in your basement - with
room for a queen-sized bed besides.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Later,  Arlo Levisen