More on tuning SU's

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: More on tuning SU's
From: FPS3 <FPS3@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 17:11:49 EST
I always tried to "read" my sparkplugs to determin the mixture. This is a dark
art that is way beyond me. Doing "plug cuts" may work (for someone) but in the
real world- I neve could get much out of them. My friend Tucker Madawick
(Autosport- Bloomington Indiana) is one of the best mechanics/tuners around
and he told me a few years ago that unleaded gas reads "different". GREAT! Now
what?

Is my plug hot or am I lean? Is the plug cold or am I rich? Being neither
"rich" nor "lean"... I certainly was flailing on plugs too... which compounded
the mixture setting proceedure. So- I set the idle & lived with it.

Was I selecting the plug according to mixture- whatever that was? I guess
really, I was just messing around 'till it ran OK- and I called that
"tuning.."

However- once you KNOW that your mixture is right with the analizer- it is not
hard to tell if the plug is hot or cold.

Fred Sisson