+4 trans swap

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: +4 trans swap
From: bristol@coastnet.com (Jim Walters)
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 09:40:30 -0800
About ten years ago I installed a full synchro trans
out of a 68 E-type 2+2 into a 58 Plus Four.My recollection
is that it was relatively straight forward. I had to shorten
the input shaft and have a new muff coupling machined up
to match the different splines and shorten the driveshaft
several inches. The 2+2 trans has a longer tailshaft than
a normal E-type and was much cheaper that's why we used it.
Using a Mk II overdrive trans would be the trick setup! The
4.2 trans made it a totally different car to drive, much, much
more enjoyable. Jim.