Re: "Special" Morgans

Subject: Re: "Special" Morgans
From: "L.D. McLaughlin, Jr." <ldmcjr@zebra.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 20:25:19 -0600
>Tony - when I purchased my 1987 Plus 8 from Win Sharples of Cantab
>Motors in Purcellville, Virginia, he stated to me that my car was #5 of
>a group of 10 "special" Morgans he imported into the US in the late
>1980's.  He said these cars had absolutely no pollution control
>equipment on them and the EPA agreed to accept them with a fuel cell
>instead of a regular gasoline tank.  My car clearly has a fuel cell and
>I cannot see where it has any of the normal pollution controls
>associated with that timeframe.
>
>The serial number of my car is SA9CE2820H1004683 (R-9683).
>
>Have you ever heard of this story or anything even remotely like it from
>any of the other owners you have contact with?  I have reviewed your
>list, but not all of the cars listed has the R number and none of them
>are very close to my R number.  By the way, just what is this R number
>and does it differ from the chassis number?
>
>The reason I am asking about all this is that I am now into my 114th day
>of ownership of my Morgan and still haven't received a title document
>from Cantab Motors.  I am beginning to suspect something is seriously
>amiss here.  At this point my car is parked in my garage and it isn't of
>much use to me under these circumstances.

Arlo -

Your car probably was imported for conversion to a propane vehicle, as that
was the only way one could sell Morgans in the 80's. As you know, they had
to modify the bumpers and side door frames as well. Yours may have slipped
through the cracks and got onto the streets in European tuning, and, if so,
should be quite a hauler. Depending on how strict your state is regarding
emission control, I wouldn't worry about it and just enjoy your car! Most
emission equipment over 10 years old wouldn't work anyway unless it was
maintained well, which I doubt anyone does.
As to your R number, that signifies only that it is a Plus 8 series... The
newer models have a longer number, but the actual serial number is found
somewhere in it, around 11-12 thousand.
4/4 models have an early letter (a,b,c...) in front of the serial number,
the change in letter signifying a change in the equipment or probably
engine... To my knowledge, I don't think that Plus 4 models have had a
letter prefix since their origin around 1950.

Could anyone else help Arlo with these 10 vehicles?

Tony McLaughlin