Re: 4/4 Ignitions

To: arlin@slip.net
Subject: Re: 4/4 Ignitions
From: Phil Fisher <pcfisher@ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 10:41:19 -0800
Arlin, Steve:

I had my '70 4/4 (early Kent) rebuilt by a Formula Ford builder in 1994.
At the time he suggested replacing the Autolite distributor with the Bosch
unit, this being the choice of most of his Formula customers.

Between balancing the moving pieces, improved valve train and the extra
head magic he performed the engine will now rev very freely to 6500 (my
personal limit).  We stayed with the GT cam to retain streetability but it
still dynoed out at 115 bhp.

I also have a nearly new Mallory dual point unit that I bought in the mid
1970's and ran for about a year.  It was sweet as well.  I only ran it for
a year because I soon discovered that adjusting a pair of points properly
was a bit of a pain.  Also, since the engine was dead stock at that time
(and the Autolite distributor still fairly new) I didn't really get any
perceived performance bennies out of it.

I'm often curious to see what it would do now with the warmer engine.

Interestingly, since Semptember for some strange reason the omnipresent
need for improved performance from the 4/4 has diminished greatly.

Phil Fisher
1970 4/4 4-seater
1992 Plus 8 (since September)
1968 912 Targa