Re: What Sort of Clutch Problem

To: nogera@prodigy.net, ebrown@ms.com, Morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: What Sort of Clutch Problem
From: FPS3@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 10:06:39 EDT
I agree w/Bob- Sounds like dragging clutch- but also a bit of crunching is
"the nature of the beast".

I hate crunching as it is destructive over a period of time. First/reverse is
the only actual gear that moves in and out of engagement in a Moss and is
usualy the most worn/abused item in the box.

I always depress clutch, nudge the gear shift aginst second gear for a couple
of seconds- then quickly into first or reverse. This from a standing start of
course. If the clutch drags only slightly (they all do... just a bit), this
technique uses the second synchro (there is none on first/reverse) to stop the
spinning of the transmisson input shaft- makes sliding first gears together
easier.

I had to think about this as it is second-nature to me to do this- always with
a Moss box.

Fred Sisson