Limited Slip Differentials

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Limited Slip Differentials
From: Gary Kneisley <kneisley@ohio.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 1998 12:12:25 -0400
As I venture through the on-ramp of general automotive mechanical knowledge,
and specifically Morgan knowledge I turn, once again, to the collective
wisdom of the Morgan discussion group.

The subject this time is the limited slip differential on my 1991 Morgan +8
which I have owned for about a year.

In keeping with suggested maintenance my mechanic brother and I replaced the
gear oil with limited slip oil as directed by the Morgan factory booklet
which accompanied the car.

Now, the differential, when warm, seems not to want to slip at slow speeds
while turning.  It grabs, then clicks, sometimes grabbing quite noticeably
and releasing with a more definitive clunk-krunch.

The mechanic brother then removed some of the rear end lube, and topped it
off with a limited slip additive, to help the system.

Symptoms remain.

A fax to the Morgan Factory got a response in 24 hours (bless their heart)
and the representative there said the additive should be added BEFORE adding
the lim-slip gear oil.  Then, he says in brief British understatement, the
click will go away after about 70 miles.  I've got 150 miles on it and it
still sticks.

Can anyone point me to a web site reference where I can learn more about
these lubricants and limited slip differentials?  And, can anyone offer some
wisdom on how to resolve this problem and what US lubricants are preferred?

As always, your patience with my ignorance is deeply appreciated.

Gary Kneisley
Grafton, OH
1991 +8 EFI