Re: virus's ("DON'T PANIC" - ie: get the facts first)

To: "Graeme Sutherland" <graeme@pixelfusion.com>,
Subject: Re: virus's ("DON'T PANIC" - ie: get the facts first)
From: "Michael D. Miles, PE" <mdmiles@teleport.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 15:38:46 -0700
Thanks for all the concern about the circulation of viruses (virusi?) but
may I humbly suggest checking with a reputable source first.  My favorite
is to visit the Symantec AntiVirus Research Center (SARC) and look at the
Hoax lists.  Drop by the following URL sometime and poke around:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/hoax.html

Of course, someone who was really nefarious would adopt a hoax name for
their own virus so the angst is still valid to some degree.

FYI - SARC does list the BUDDYLST, BUDSAVER, and RETURNED... messages as
hoaxes.  As previously posted, there is little substitute for an anti-virus
checker anyway.

"Entropy Happens!"
Michael D. Miles, PE  Consulting Design Engineer
(503) 292-1234, FAX: (503) 292-1105, email: mdmiles@teleport.com