Re: Morgan +8 basket case

To: Morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Morgan +8 basket case
From: jpavone@vanstar.com
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 12:32:36 -0800
Don,

You're right about the variable quality of the restoration. Obviously,
pictures and receipts from a reputable restoration shop are a must. Finding
an early +8 (or any Morgan) in good original condition is pretty rare.
Morgans, prior to 1986, were not built with longevity in mind. The wood
frames were not treated with any sort of preservative, hidden areas of the
body remained in primer and most chrome parts were poorly plated.
Additionally,  many were never properly maintained..ie. run top down in the
rain (not that there's anything wrong with that!!) and never properly
allowed to dry out. Hence, most early Morgans (pre 86') probably have had
some sort of freshning or restoration work.
With regard to parts, Morgans are unique in that fact that the factory is
still making cars and parts. Many of those new parts are probably of better
quality than those originally fitted.

Regards,

John

59 4/4